Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thing #15: Future of Libraries Web 2.0

I read the article "Away from Icebergs" by Rick Anderson.  As much as I cling to books, I agree with his idea of limiting our "just in case" collection.  Frequently, my students come to the library for research with a very specific topic.  Usually we don't have books on that topic.  In the past, that would cause a disappointed student to change the topic but not now.  With all the information we have access to online, students can chose a topic they are interested in.
I also agree with the idea that all the technology we use must be user friendly.  All of my students don't have the opportunity to come to the library for instruction so it's a hit or miss process for my lessons.  I love using applications that are easy to figure out or can be taught by other students. 
I also read the article "Into a New World of Librarianship" by Michael Stephens.  I agree with every point he made.  Librarians in a Web 2.0 age need to be need to listen to users when planning, offer access to Web 2.0 tools but not go crazy for technology.  Too often in the education world, we jump into something new only to find later that it didn't meet our needs at all.  Technology needs to enhance education, not take it over.
Stpehens says a librarian must get content.  I think the role of a librarian has changed so much from the "keeper of the books" to one of "information acquisition goddess."  Students have to be able to find and evaluate information on a daily basis.
When I think of Library 2.0 I see an evolving vision of books, both print and ebooks, technology, and information aquisition.  However, most of all, the vision needs to be driven by the love of learning and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment